Same, J.T. Same.
In a special edition of The Boo Birds Podcast, Joe and John break down some of what went wrong for the Phillies during the 2020 season before taking a trip around the diamond to talk about who we can expect to see in each position on Opening Day next season. The rundown:
• Full disclosure: the Phillies announced Matt Klentak was stepping down literally while the episode was being recorded, so the guys re-recorded a new intro to discuss the change (0:44)
• John goes over the potential candidates that he discussed in his piece that was posted immediately after learning the news, and Joe throws some names onto the pile as well; he will forever claim to be the first in town to speculate on the “Theo Epstein to the Phillies” rumors/pipe dream (5:10)
• A discussion of the impact of the field staff (13:55), with a brief departure into talking about pitchers
• The starting rotation (21:09)
• The second-worst bullpen in Major League history (31:00)
• The catching situation, segueing into first base, with a healthy dose of designated hitter in there, too (42:18); the guys also agree on someone to spend the money on if J.T. Realmuto isn’t back next season
• A very brief discussion about who will start at third base next season (it’s Alec Bohm) (58:00)
• Didi Gregorius speculation and the rest of the middle infield (1:00:27)
• Center field is a bit of a mess, eh? (1:06:04)
• John engages in some shocking Andrew McCutchen slander, and Joe takes a bit more offense than anyone outside of the McCutchen family probably should (1:08:40)
• Effusive praise of the first two years of the Bryce Harper Era (1:12:32)
• The bench (1:16:51)
Is Aaron Nola an Ace? – The Boo Birds Podcast
You can find The Boo Birds Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, Spotify, Stitcher, and more; download, subscribe, and leave a five-star review! You can also find us at http://www.anchor.fm/boobirdspodcast.